Law Enforcement Training
The Division of Criminal Investigation was designated to coordinate and administer the law enforcement training program and to operate the Law Enforcement Training Center, which is now known as the George S. Mickelson Criminal Justice Center.
All full-time and part-time law enforcement officers and telecommunicators are required to be certified within their first year of employment, including elected officials.
In addition to training and certifying law enforcement officers and telecommunicators, Law Enforcement Training is responsible for:
- Reserve Officer Certifications
- Licensing of Polygraph Examiners
- Licensing of Computer Voice Stress Analyzers
- Conducting DARE Officer and In-Service Training
- Coordinating Training and Certification of Canine Teams
- Providing Law Enforcement Grant Funding to local Law Enforcement Agencies
- Tracking the Continuing Education Requirements for Certified Law Enforcement Officers
- Scheduling and Coordinating Advanced Training Courses for Law Enforcement Officers and Telecommunicators
SDCL Chapter 23-3 Law Enforcement Agencies